The Stiansen Award 2015 goes to Frank Nervik
This year’s Stiansen Award has been awarded to the Norwegian animal rights activist Frank Nervik, for his effort to expose the conditions at Norwegian fur farms through the documentary film “Fur”. The Stiansen Award, which is awarded by the animal foundation Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse, consists of a contribution of NOK 50,000 and a sculpture by Norwegian artist Elena Engelsen.
– Frank Nervik has done an important effort for animals in the Norwegian fur industry. He is a worthy winner of the Stiansen Award, says the board of the Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse.
The Stiansen Award is presented annually to individuals or organizations that have made extraordinary efforts to promote animal rights and welfare. A council at the foundation proposes candidates to the board based on nominations received from animal supporters worldwide, whereas the board makes the final decision.
– This year we received multiple nominations in connection with the documentary film “Fur”. The foundation council believes that Frank Nervik has done highly important work in exposing the conditions for fur animals at Norwegian fur farms, says professor and veterinarian Frode Lingaas, chairman of the foundation council at Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse
The foundation council is an independent expert body that provides advice and recommendations to the board. The council consists of: Frode Lingaas, professor and veterinarian, Guri Larsen, professor in criminology, Unni Lindell, author, Lise Myhre, cartoonist, Roger Petterson, secretary general of WPSA in Sweden, Maria Været Veggeland, ethologist and Bodil Eikeset, leader of Norsk Huskattforening. The members work at their own initiative without pay.
Hundreds of thousands of NOK in project funding
Dag S. Stiansens Stiftelse also provides financial support for projects that promote the welfare and rights of animals. Project funding is delegated based on the applications received online. This year, a total of NOK 375,000 has been awarded to the following projects/organizations:
- Foreningen for omplassering av dyr
- Marianne Fagerstrøm – «redd svanene i Sandvika»
- Michael J. Baines – «gatehunder i Thailand»
For more information, please contact: info(at)stiansenstiftelsen.no